Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Road Trip!!!

Wow, so it's been almost 2 weeks since my last post. I'm leaving tomorrow at noon (and will be back in Carlilse Sunday night) and heading off to visit Bard College and Smith College, where I'll
be doing some interviews with admissions, sitting in on classes, meeting with professors, and all that lovely communicating and getting to know one another's facts that comes along with transferring.

What I'm really excited about (besides picking out my future for the next 3 years) is that I'll have the car all to myself, which means I'll be driving up to Massachussets from PA on an 8 hour drive alone. I've never been on a road trip by myself before, and also have never been on a trip longer than a day or two with friends, so I'm really pumped. I looked up my route in the UER database and there are some really fantastic locations along the way that I think I'll try and check out.

These are the locations I'm planning to check out:

Bethlehem Steel Mill (Bethlehem, PA)
Alder Manor (Yonkers, NY)**
Boyce-Thompson Institute for Plant Research (Yonkers, NY)**
Pleasure Beach (Bridgeport, CT)
Remington Arms & Ammo (Bridgeport, CT)
Old Mill (Manchester, CT)

**this is actually right across the street from Alder Manor; apparently the guy who lived there was a famous botanist.

I WAS going to stop by the UniRoyal Factory in Chicopee, MA, but it's pretty much one of the most dangerous places I think I could pick to explore. There are huge holes in the floors, with bins full of toxic waste and old chemicals below them, the whole place is a disaster waiting to happen. I'd love to check it out sometime, but it'll have to be when I have a gas mask and a full chemical suit.

Anyway, it should be fun; I'll have some interested pictures to post up anyway.

I don't do ALL abandonment photography, although that's my favorite. Here are some of my recent photos that have nothing to do with urbexing.







Until next time...can't wait to get some photos from my journey up here! Cheers~

No comments: